You know you love it when I go rogue on Fake Bake birthday cakes. Having done another poll on Instagram about whether we in Blighty like our peanut butter 100% unadulterated vs Peanut Butter & Jam together, the majority of votes were in favour of not messing with PB. It seemed like PB&J was more a thing for people across the pond in the USA (where 'J' is for 'Jelly' which is jam for them, because jelly is jell-o for them...I'm struggling to keep up).
But because NOBODY wanted chocolate orange, yet went cray for it when I pulled it out of the bag, I took a big punt again and decided upon doing a Peanut Butter and Jam Fake Bake this week. Mainly because I really wanted to do something pink. Did it bling?
O.M.G. did it BLING! It's broken all Fake Bake records, beating Aldi's Mint Choc to FIRST PLACE! It's also my first proper video on TikTok that's got a lot of love.
I went to a big Tesco Extra armed with my bags for life and Club Card. In my £10 I got two raspberry sponge layer cakes, a jar of crunchy peanut butter (it's cheaper than smooth), a jar of raspberry jam, three different kinds of pb-choc bars (Reeses Nutrageous, Kit Kat Chunky Peanut Butter and Snickers Peanut Butter), a Madeira cake loaf and a pack of Jammie Dodgers.
I think what pipped this Fake Bake to first place is the cute Madeira cake PB&J sandwiches I made for the decor.
They are so cute and delicious. They'd also fit right into an Alice in Wonderland cake themed afternoon tea party!
But what wins for me in this cake is the way I made that budget tub of crunchy peanut butter stretch. Not only did I use it to bulk up the skinny raspberry sponge layer cakes, I also warmed and strained it to be used as a drip, and rescued the crunchy peanuts for décor.
Again, nobody asked for it, but they love it.
Fake Bake Recipe - Peanut Butter & Jam Cake
@angesdesucre £10 Fake Bake - PB & J cake from Tesco. No oven, no mixers, broke but bougie cakes. #cakedecorating #cakesoftiktok #fakebake #foryou ♬ Zou Bisou Bisou - Gillian Hills
2x Ready-made Round Raspberry Sponge Cakes (5" or 6" size)
1 tub (400g) of ready-made Raspberry flavour frosting
1 jar of crunchy peanut butter
1 jar of seedless raspberry jam
1 loaf of Madeira cake
1 pack of Jammie Dodgers
3 Peanut butter chocolate bars (Reeses Nutrageous, Kit Kat Chunky Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Snickers)
1. Prepare the cake decorating station with a cake turntable, angled palette knife, cake scraper, a cake board, a tablespoon, a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle, a knife and a spatula.
2. Unbox the cakes. Smear a dollop of frosting in the middle of the cake board on the turntable, and then place one of the layer cakes on the board. Separate the sponge layers and spread an even layer of crunchy peanut butter and a layer of jam before sandwiching again. This adds height.
3. Decant the frosting into a bowl and whip or stir to loosen and lighten it. Spread a layer of crunchy peanut butter in the centre of the top of the layer cake and pipe some frosting around the edges.
4. Stack the second layer cake on top.
Pipe the frosting around the cake.
Run a cake scraper along the sides of the cake to smooth. Smooth the top of the cake. Place in the fridge to chill and set.
5. Make the Madeira cake PB&J sandwiches. Slice the Madeira loaf cake into 1.5-2cm thick slices. Spread a layer of crunchy peanut butter and a layer of jam over half of the slices. Cut out small heart shapes with a heart shaped cutter from the other half of the slices. Sandwich!
6. Place the peanut butter and jam jars in a warm water bath. When the peanut butter has warmed up, strain it into a bowl using a sieve to make smooth peanut butter. Reserve the peanuts and rinse in warm water to remove any excess peanut butter on the peanuts. Let the peanuts dry on a kitchen towel.
7. Crust the base of the cake with the rescued peanuts.
8. Chop the peanut butter chocolate bars in big and small pieces.
9. Pour a tablespoon of warm smooth peanut butter along the sides of the cake leaving gaps. Use the back of the spoon to push drips gently over the edge. Do the same with the warm jam.
10. Fit a piping bag with a small star nozzle tip and fill with the remaining frosting. Pipe swirls over the top of the cake.
Decorate the cake using the Jammies Dodgers, rescued peanuts, peanut butter chocolate bar pieces and the Madeira cake PB&J sandwiches.
This is a banger of a cake and I'm so impressed by how much mileage I got out of a very cheap jar of crunchy peanut butter!
The colour, the flavour profile, the cute aesthetics all just work so well together. I can't believe it's for under a TENNER. Wow.
If this still seems like a lot of work or if you want a striking luxury cake for a special occasion you can always order one of our cakes delivered across London.
Lots of love,