This week has been a weird one. Not on the cake delivery front, that's all been fine even with the weather changing. Not the recipe books either as I just took delivery of the beautiful reprinted books and they are all ready to be sent out tomorrow!
It's the Fake Bakes series. After a week of getting some really rather bizarre messages and comments, I spent the weekend reflecting on whether I should continue with my £10 supermarket Fake Bake challenge.
I don't know whether it's the growing popularity of the series or not, but in one week I've been accused of single-handedly destroying the "cake industry" and also encouraging "unhealthy eating" with low-quality supermarket items. It's quite a lot of heavy accusations being sent my way over what is just a bit of fun with my son.
It highlighted the problem with putting internet strangers/influencers/celebs or whoever else 'famous' for anything or nothing at all, on a pedestal. Just because someone has more than a 1,000 followers on social media, it doesn't make them an expert on every topic under the sun. They shouldn't pose as such, and neither should they be expected to. And the last place anyone should turn to for nutritional advice is a celebration cake business.
So after a lot of thinking I've decided to make this, Aldi Kinder Swindler Cake, my last Fake Bake of the series...
Aldi's Kinder Bar Dupes
...Until next week. PSYCH! Calm down, stop crying! NO WAY am I hanging up the Fake Bake apron. It's way too much fun with X-Ray, and even more so when you share your Fake Bake triumphs and absolute disasters with me! I love it!
I love it so much that you were treated to a whole extra Fake Bake this week. Haters gonna hate, Fakers gonna fake!
Fake Bake Recipe - Kinder Swindler Cake
@angesdesucre £10 Fake Bake with the fake kinder Bueno and bars from Aldi! Aptly called the Kinder Swindler. #cakedecorating #cakesoftiktok #foryou #kinderbueno ♬ SHIMMY SONGTRADR 30 HIT WONDER - Artist manager manager
2x Ready-made Chocolate Sponge Cakes (5" or 6" size)
1 tub (400g) of ready-made Vanilla flavour frosting
Chocolate mini muffins
Aldi Dairyfine Mini Delights Hazelnut Crisp
Aldi Dairyfine Spirals Hazelnut
1. Prepare the cake decorating station with a cake turntable, angled palette knife, cake scraper, a cake board, a tablespoon, a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle, a knife and a spatula.
2. Unbox the cakes. Smear a dollop of frosting in the middle of the cake board on the turntable, and then place one of the layer cakes on the board. Remove the paper wrapping and any decor inclusions on top of the cake.
3. Decant the frosting into a bowl and whip or stir to loosen and lighten it. Smooth the chocolate frosting layer on top of the cake with an angled palette knife and pipe some frosting around the edges.
4. Stack the second layer cake on top.
Pipe the frosting around the cake.
Run a cake scraper along the sides of the cake to smooth. Smooth the top of the cake. Place in the fridge to chill and set.
5. Make the Bueno-style ganache. Melt 4 Mini Delights bars over a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl at 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each blast. When it has melted, strain it into a bowl using a sieve to make a smooth ganache. There is no need to add water/cream/butter to this ganache as the creamy filling in the bars emulsifies very well. Reserve the hazelnut crunch mixture and rinse in warm water to remove any excess chocolate. Let the hazelnut crunch mix dry on a kitchen towel.
6. Crust the base of the cake with crumbled chocolate mini muffins.
7. Chop the chocolate bars in big and small pieces.
8. Pour a tablespoon of ganache along the sides of the cake. Use the back of the spoon to push drips gently over the edge.
9. Fit a piping bag with a small star nozzle tip and fill with the remaining frosting. Pipe swirls over the top of the cake.
10. Place the muffins on top of the cake. Pipe frosting swirls on the muffins.
Spoon some ganache on top of each muffin. Sprinkle the rescued hazelnut crunch and some chocolate muffin crumbs over the muffins and around the edges of the cake.
Decorate the cake using the chopped chocolate bars.
I was very surprised at how delicious the Aldi Kinder dupes were! Dare I say it, might even taste better than the OG. Well done Aldi! And well done X-Ray and I for another banger of a Fake Bake!
This cake, for a tenner, you really couldn't go wrong.
Or maybe you could! LOL!
So my fellow cake makers and bakers, please don't worry about Fake Bakes destroying the cake industry. I think our jobs are safe.
And if you're trying to recreate this Kinder Swindler Fake Bake for a special occasion and are worried about a 'disaster', there's no need to worry either. I think even the disasters look way more fun and appetising than the cakes themselves in their boxes on the shelf. There's definitely a story to tell!
But if you still need a sure-fire way to wow with a real deal Kinder cake, look no further than our very own Kinder vs Nutella cake.
And repeat after me - Say No to Drugs, Sugar and Carbs.*
Lots of love,
*Definitely say no to drugs. But please don't come here for any other nutritional advice. It's a website for cakes made of simplex carbs. Not cucumbers.
March 30, 2022
I became a fan of yours last year with your influencer responses. Thanks for always making me laugh and inspiring me to fake bake too! love from NZ