Valentines Day and spring half term generally overlap. And a £10 Fake Bake cake is the best £10 you can spend on V-day. As it was half-term and we had X-Ray at home I decided to Fake Bake along with him. He got thoroughly involved in procuring the stuff and was counting down the days till when we could Fake Bake the cake. And he couldn't get his head around the fact that it's not going into the oven as it's already baked!
Fake Bake Recipe - Pink Raspberry Cake
2x Ready-made Round Raspberry or VIctoria Sponge layer Cakes (5" or 6" size)
1 tub (400g) of ready-made buttercream-style Raspberry frosting
1 tub (300g) of ready-made buttercream-style Vanilla frosting
1 pack of Mini Jammie Dodgers
Large Jammie Dodgers
Pink and White Mini Marshmallows
Mini Battenberg Cakes
1. Prepare the cake decorating station with a cake turntable, angled palette knife, cake scraper, a cake board, a tablespoon, a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle, a knife and a spatula.
2. Unbox the cakes. Smear a dollop of buttercream in the middle of the cake board on the turntable, and then place one of the layer cakes on the board.
Separate the sponge layers and spread an even layer of mini marshmallows before sandwiching again. This adds height.
3. Decant the buttercream into a bowl and loosen it with a spatula or whip with a whisk.
Spread an even layer of buttercream on the top of the cake.
Stack the second layer cake on top.
4. Spread and smooth buttercream. I find it easier to pipe the buttercream on first before smoothing with a cake scraper.
Run a cake scraper along the sides of the cake.
Spread and smooth buttercream over the top of the cake.
Use the vanilla buttercream to give it a marbled finish.
5. Unwrap the Jammie Dodgers, pink wafers and mini battenberg cakes. Slice the battenberg cakes and pink wafers to size.
6. Fit a piping bag with a small star nozzle tip and fill with the remaining frosting. Pipe a few swirls around the top in any pattern.
7. Decorate with pink wafers, Jammie Dodgers, mini marshmallows and mini battenbergs.
Lots of love,