I don't think there is a person on the planet who'd pass on a slice of zesty lemon cake. Light, fluffy, springy, moist, just the right amount of sweet and a moreish tang. I LOVE LEMON CAKE. And it's one of my favourite fake bakes to do.
So when I saw Mr Kipling had the cutest mini battenbergs in Lemon and Raspberry flavour at Tesco I HAD to make a lemon and raspberry £10 fake bake. I paired it with Tesco's budget raspberry sponges and their premium Lemon frosting. This might just be the happiest and most colourful fake bake I've done to date.
Fake Bake Recipe - Lemon & Raspberry Cake
2x Ready-made Raspberry Sponge Cakes (5" or 6" size)
1 tub (400g) of ready-made Lemon flavour frosting
Ruby Chocolate Chips
Mr Kipling Lemon & Raspberry Mini Battenbergs
1. Prepare the cake decorating station with a cake turntable, angled palette knife, cake scraper, a cake board, a tablespoon, a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle, a small paring knife and a spatula.
2. Decant the frosting into a bowl and whip or stir to loosen and lighten it. Unbox the cakes. Smear a dollop of frosting in the middle of the cake board on the turntable, and then place one of the layer cakes on the board. Spread a layer of frosting on top of the cake with an angled palette knife.
3. Stack the second layer cake on top. Pipe the frosting around the cake and smooth it with the edge of the palette knife, or a plastic cake scraper. Smooth the top of the cake. Place in the fridge to chill and set.
5. Place two fairy cakes on top of the cake.
6. Carefully unwrap the marzipan covering from two mini battenbergs. Cut out star shapes using a small cookie cutter or a paring knife from the marzipan.
7. Wet the tip of a small paintbrush with water and dab it in the centre of each marzipan star. Press in a star sprinkle on the damp centres and let it rest to dry.
8. Separate the lemon and raspberry cake bars from the unwrapped battenbergs. Crumble the pink cake lightly with finger tips.
Spread the pink crumbs along the base of the cake.
9. Fit a piping bag with a small star nozzle tip and fill with the remaining frosting. Pipe swirls over the top of the cake and fairy cakes. Decorate with battenberg slices, marzipan stars and star sprinkles.
This is the most cheerful Fake Bake I have ever made!
How bright and colourful is this!
Lots of love,