But ever since someone described the dupe Kinder Bueno filling spread from Morrisons as "crack in a jar" I knew I had to get my hands on it. A spread EVEN better than Nutella?! And the only thing I wanted to pair with that spread were Happy Hippos. It was a non-negotiable.
Kinder products were hard to track down in the lead up to easter, but I managed to score my £10 Fake Bake haul from Morrisons, including Happy Hippos, Knoppers hazelnut wafers, and THAT Hazelnut White Chocolate spread jar. And I was counting down the days to Fake this Bake out!
The spread is truly pine. And this fake bake is now one of my most popular. Easy to see why!
Fake Bake Recipe - Kinder Happy Hippo Cake
@angesdesucre £10 fake bake - #kinder #happyhippo cake with Morrisons Bueno-style spread (it’s like crack, but better for you) #fyp #easterbaking #knoppers #cakes ♬ I'M FEELING LUCKY - Ellen Once Again
2x Ready-made Round Coconut Sponge Cakes (5" or 6" size)
1 tub (400g) of ready-made Chocolate flavour frosting
1 jar of Hazelnut White Chocolate spread
Mini chocolate chip muffins
Knoppers hazelnut chocolate wafers
Kinder Happy Hippos
1. Prepare the cake decorating station with a cake turntable, angled palette knife, cake scraper, a cake board, a tablespoon, a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle, a knife and a spatula.
2. Decant the frosting into a bowl and whip or stir to loosen and lighten it. Unbox the cakes. Smear a dollop of frosting in the middle of the cake board on the turntable, and then place one of the layer cakes on the board. Scrape off the coconut topping from the top of the cake carefully with a palette knife. Pipe a few lines of frosting around the edge and flood the centre with hazelnut white chocolate spread.
3. Stack the second layer cake on top.
4. Scrape off the coconut topping from the top of the stacked cake. Pipe the frosting around the cake. Run a cake scraper along the sides of the cake to smooth. Smooth the top of the cake. Place in the fridge to chill and set.
5. Core two mini choc chip muffins and fill with the hazelnut white choc spread. Pop the tops back on.
6. Warm the hazelnut white choc spread in a water bath/double boiler/bain marie. Pour a tablespoon of warm spread along the sides of the cake. Use the back of the spoon to push drips gently over the edge.
7. Chop some Knoppers hazelnut wafers into triangular shapes. Chop another wafer into small pieces. Crust the base of the cake with the chopped wafer crumble. Fit a piping bag with a small star nozzle tip and fill with the remaining frosting. Pipe swirls over the top of the cake and the muffins.
8. Finish decorating by sprinkling the wafer crumble over the cake and adding the wafer triangles and Happy Hippos.
I'm tempted to tell NOBODY about the hazelnut white chocolate spread at Morrisons as I'm scared of adding to any potential viral popularity of that product and it selling out. It is PINE. The perfect spread to actually really enhance the taste and texture of the supermarket sponged.
Lots of love,